Caramel Peach Upside Down Cake, a deliciously moist cake made with fresh, canned or frozen Peaches. A little ice cream on top and it’s perfect any time of year.
A caramel peach upside down cake recipe made entirely from scratch.
How to Make the Best Caramel Peach Upside Down Cake
This classic peach upside down cake is buttery rich and the caramel peach topping is downright irresistible. Let me walk you through each step so you understand the process.
Prepare the caramel peach topping
Mix softened butter and brown sugar and spread evenly on the bottom of the 9-in. round baking pan. Arrange peaches in a pattern over sugar mixture as you see in my photo tutorial.
Prepare the cake batter
Whisk the dry ingredients together. In a large bowl cream butter, sugar and vanilla extract, add egg and beat until light and fluffy, add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beat on low until combined. You’ll have about 2 cups of cake batter and it’s very straightforward to prepare.
Spread over topping
Pour and spread the cake batter over the topping.
Because of the wet bottom layer (which is the topping), the cake takes much longer than a typical 1 layer cake. Its juices will bubble up the sides, creating these incredible caramelized edges. (They’re so good!) With upside down cakes, it’s always good practice to place a baking pan or sheet on a lower rack to catch any juices should they splatter over the edges.
Cool the cake for 20 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Inverting any sooner will create a seeping mess– we want the topping to “set” as much as it can. You can serve this cake warm, though it slices much better if you let it cool completely at room temperature first.
Caramel Peach Upside Down Cake
- 9×2 inch pie dish or round cake pan. (Make sure the pan is 2 inches deep)
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh peaches (about 3-4 peaches) sliced 1/2-in. slices, peeled, or 1 small can drained, or frozen unsweetened peach slices, thawed and large slices cut in half lengthwise
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Mix softened butter and brown sugar and spread evenly on the bottom of the 9×2 inch pie dish or round cake pan. (Make sure the pan is 2 inches deep) Arrange peaches in a pattern over sugar mixture. Set pan aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl cream butter, sugar and vanilla extract, add egg and beat until light and fluffy, add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beat on low until combined.
- Spoon and spread over peaches.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the sides, place a platter on top and invert the cake onto the platter.
- If any of the peach slices stick to the pan, lift them off carefully and replace them on top of the cake. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Can this be frozen