Apple bars recipe on winter day ??
First of all I wanna make myself clear, there’s nothing seriously wrong with me, yes yes, i know that is winter on northern hemisphere…
Thing is that a couple of months ago when I was thinking about starting a blog, I made a decision that I would take a picture of each (successful) cake and write down a recipe together with the instructions. So, story about this cake Takes Us Back in a beautiful golden yellow october. We are lucky enough to have an amazing friend with a amazing apple orchard just minutes from our house. Nestled in front of the river and beside bosket this charming orchard is filled with a variety smells of Granny smith, Gala, Red Delicious and Golden Delicious apples. I may have picked up a bushel of Granny Smith and Gala apples from the orchard on a whim – so I needed to find a plan fast.
On one side is Gala apples, with a mellow flavor and juicy yellow flesh and on the other Granny Smith apples with robust tart flavor that really shines through and stands up to the pastry. And to make a long story short I decided to make my favorite apple bars, and a recipe call for Granny Smith apples. Hope you’re hungry, cause this recipe makes a whopping four dozen bars! And they truly taste… just like apple pie.
- For Crust
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 cup margarine at room temperature
- 2½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3⅓ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- For Apple filling
- 11 cup grated apples
- 5 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- For Meringue
- 6 egg whites
- 1½ cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream margarine in a mixing bowl, beat in egg yolks, gradually add sugar and
- continue creaming until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, shredded coconut, vanilla extract and baking soda.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
- Roll the dough with lightly floured hands and place into cake pan ( 13 x 9 ) lined with baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, cook the apples with sugar and cinnamon and if you like, with a handful of coarse ground nuts.
- After 15 minutes remove from oven and spread the apple mixture on top.
- Place back in oven and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cream egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl and continue creaming until light and fluffy.
- After 20 minutes remove from the oven and cover with meringue on top.
- Bake it for additional 10 minutes or until meringue turns golden,
- keep an eye on it to make sure the top isn't getting too browned.
- Let cool completely on a rack before cutting into 2-inch bars.
- Decorate with homemade caramel sauce.