easy-to-make Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas are a family favorite and the perfect enchilada recipe when you are craving Mexican food for dinner! They are filled with shredded chicken mixed with cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, and green chilies, and topped with enchilada sauce and more cheese.
The best creamy chicken enchiladas recipe!
If you love comfort food, I have the recipe for you!
These chicken enchiladas with cream cheese will be perfect for your dinner. You can make these up in very little time, and they taste great. Better yet, they even reheat well. So if you need to make a meal ahead, this may be the perfect choice for you.
Cream Cheese Chicken Enchilada Ingredients
Here is what you need to make the enchiladas:
Pre-cooked chicken – You can use any type of cooked chicken — shredded from a rotisserie chicken or poached chicken. If using poached chicken, make sure to season your chicken!
Pepper Jack cheese – The key to this recipe is the Pepper Jack Cheese so don’t substitute it if you don’t have to because it adds a creamy spiciness to the enchiladas.
Tortillas – flour or corn
Red or green enchilada sauce
How to Make Enchiladas with Cream Cheese Chicken
In a medium bowl cream together cream cheese, sour cream, a portion of the Cheddar cheese, Pepper Jack Cheese, and half of the enchilada sauce.
In a second bowl toss together the chicken, corn, cumin, chili powder, green chiles, 1/2 of the green onions, and salt and pepper.
Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
Spread about half of the remaining enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
Place a heaping scoop of the chicken mixture on a tortilla.
Roll up the tortilla and place the seam side down in the baking dish.
Repeat until all the filling is used.
Pour enchilada sauce on top of rolled tortillas.
Top with remaining cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
Is it better to use flour or corn tortillas for enchiladas?
Corn or flour tortillas? Honestly, it really depends on your preference. In traditional Mexican cooking corn tortillas are used for enchiladas, but flour tortillas work just fine.
Many people who enjoy eating gluten-free choose corn tortillas. Either type of tortilla could be used in this recipe.
My best tip for tortillas is to make sure they are fresh and warm when you roll them. This way they are more pliable than when they are cold.
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below!
Also don’t forget to follow Cakescottage on Facebook, Pinterest, and Youtube
Easy Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
- Glass 9X13-inch Pan
- 5 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 10 oz Enchilada sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese divided
- 1 cup pepper-jack cheese divided
- 2 cups chicken cooked & shredded
- 1 cup corn frozen & thawed
- 4 oz green chiles canned diced
- 1/4 tsp chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 green onions thinly sliced, divided
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 9X13 dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl cream together cream cheese and sour cream. Stir in 1/2 of the enchilada sauce. Stir in 1/2 cup of each type of cheese.
- In a second bowl toss together the chicken, corn, cumin, chili powder, green chiles, 1/2 of the scallions and salt and pepper. Add the chicken mixture to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread about half of the remaining enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of chicken cheese mixture down the center of one of the tortillas, roll up and put in dish seam side down. Repeat process for remaining tortillas and filling.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the filled tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. (Enchiladas may be prepared up to this point 12 hours in advance).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly, and the enchiladas are heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining green onions and serve.