These Mexican Hot Chocolate Balls made with bittersweet chocolate, cinnamon, nutmeg and a hint of cayenne pepper or chili will warm you up this winter! Perfect for Christmas, Valentine’s Day….or a random winter day.
Four words: MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE BALLS.
If it’s cold outside, if it’s winter, if it’s snowing, if it’s between the months of December and February, then there’s one thing I know for certain – it’s Mexican Hot Chocolate season! I’m not usually someone who makes hot chocolate at home. I’ve always preferred to eat my dessert rather than drink it. And as I can tell they are just the socially accepted version of eating spoonfuls of chocolate ganache.
So try this fun little twist that is just perfect on a chilly day to warm you RIGHT UP.
No joking, this is a recipe that will knock your socks off. If you’re ready to make Mexican hot cocoa balls with the best spicy twist, let’s get started.
Mexican Hot Chocolate Balls
I love how the warmth of cinnamon and kick of cayenne marry with bittersweet chocolate to become simultaneously comforting and exciting.
Ingredients you’ll need:
cocoa/powdered sugar/sprinkles, for sprinkling
How to Make Chocolate Truffles
These truffles are super easy to make in only 5 simple steps.
- Melt the chocolate and cream together: I do this over a double-boiler, which ensures it’s velvety smooth and has no chance of seizing up, but you can try this in the microwave, too. Then take off the heat.
- Add in spices and salt: stir until combined and smooth.
- Chill mixture: refrigerate the mixture until it’s firm enough to roll into balls, usually about 1-2 hours. (This helps immensely since the chocolate will be sticky.)
- Form balls: Using a small cookie scoop, roll the chocolate into 1-inch balls.
- Coat: roll each chocolate ball in the cocoa/powdered sugar/sprinkles or dunk the chocolate balls in melted candy melts, then sprinkle with cinnamon/marshmallows…
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below!
Also don’t forget to follow Cakescottage on Facebook, Pinterest, and Youtube
Mexican Hot Chocolate Balls
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Tiny pinch of salt
- Cocoa, powdered sugar and/or sprinkles for rolling or chocolate melts for dipping
Mexican Hot Chocolate Spice Mix:
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all the spices together to make the Mexican spice mix, stirring until well combined. Set aside.
- Finely chop the chocolate and set aside in a small bowl. Bring cream to boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Pour the cream mixture over the chocolate and let sit for about thirty seconds, then stir in Mexican spice mix and salt, stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least four hours.
- Once hardened, scoop 1 tablespoon of chocolate filling and roll into a ball, set on prepared cookie sheet. Continue until all balls have been rolled.
- Put the cocoa powder in a small bowl and roll each truffle in the cocoa to give it a nice matte coating. You can roll in the powdered sugar,sprinkles....or dip truffles in chocolate and top with sprinklesor cinnamon, if desired.