When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make these easy lemon cream cheese bars! Well-chilled lemon cream cheese bars are an ideal treat for hot summer nights.
They are prepared in a few easy steps, and this is another of their advantages. The inner part is tender so every bite momentarily melts into the sweetest citrus cream. Even a tiny, surface layer of sugar will give them the ice-box cake appearance, and that is all we need tonight.
Do you like lemons? How much? If not much, then this is not the recipe for you. I really love them. Especially the zest, as a seasoning. In the pancakes, cakes, with chicken … Some things just do not work without lemon. Classic!
Our first meeting did not go well, I just didn’t quite like it, I think because of the crescent roll dough, as it was not baked enough. So I decided to repeat everything.
How to make Easy Lemon Cream Cheese Bars
Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray before you set the crescent rolls. Push the crescent rolls into the bottom and sides of the dish. This time I baked the first crescent roll dough layer till just done maybe 5-8 minutes before I add the filling. In the meantime, whisk the cream cheese, sugar, and lemon juice and mix it all together. Pour over the crust and add a second crescent roll dough layer. Coat with butter and sprinkle with sugar and bake until golden brown.
You might think you’re a terrible baker like me, but I promise you can pull these off like a pro.
- 2 (8oz.) packs of refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 (8oz.) packs of cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup of lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoons of lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Press a can of the crescent rolls to the bottom of the dish, making sure to reach edges and keep together.
- * bake the first layer of crescent roll dough till just done maybe 5-8 minutes. (Optional, that way I make sure it is done. I don't like raw dough)
- Beat the cream cheese just a bit and add ½ cup of sugar.
- Blend in the lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Spread the lemon and cream cheese mixture on the crescent rolls.
- Roll the remaining crescent roll over the top and stretch to the edges and seal.
- Brush across the entire top of the crescent roll with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle the top with 3 Tablespoons of sugar.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown.Allow to cool.
- Refrigerate for about an hour.
- Slice into bars and serve.