“What are you guys making? It smells like a fall day…”
We look at each other and realize without saying anything….We happen to have our kitchen windows open, and the crispy apple fries smell, tossed with cinnamon sugar waft its way through. Otherworldly, those words were the first reaction of our dear friends, and we were lucky enough to have them literally at our front door.
” Hi, You’ve arrived just in time to try fries.”
” Great, Burger King or Del Taco salty fries dipped in ketchup sounds like a good idea. ” – our friend said.
” Hmm…this is a little different fry, Apple Pie Fries” – I said, knowing that our friends are meat and potatoes type of person.
After the words “Apple Pie”Fries” . What can We expect from this awkward dish, is it Sweet or Savory? ” – came out of our friend’s mouth, I tried to find a way to explain our creation.
“Ketchup is really Caramel Sauce, Salt is really sugar sprinkled on the Fries and Fries are actually made from apples and pie crust”
I noticed the expression of disbelief on his face that seemed to say : “Another so-called healthy Fries mistake”, but before he said anything I answered him in style : “ You can not say you don’t like it, unless you taste it”.
And then it happened, I still remember the look on their faces that very moment when they taste the delicious flavor of a crispy apple fries tossed with cinnamon sugar and dipped in caramel sauce…! Of course, a few minutes later, mine story ends as the last fries was gone. Hopefully, I managed to take a couple of shots to show you.
Need I say more? Let’s prepare some Apple Pie Fries……
Roll one of your pie crust dough out onto a large cutting work surface. Spread smooth apple pie filling on top of pie crust leaving about 1/8″ of dough around the edges uncovered.
Using a pastry cutter, cut the pie crust into 1/2 inches wide strips, and then cut again into your “fry” strips.
Carefully remove them and put on a baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- 1 Pkg of Pillsbury Refrigerated pie Crust
- 1.5 cups of Apple Pie Filling or you can use homemade
- 1 Egg
- Sparkle Sugar
- SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature cut up into 6 pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop up the Apple Pie Filling in a food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour.
- Roll one of your pie crust dough out onto a large cutting work surface.
- Spread smooth apple pie filling on top of pie crust leaving about ⅛" of dough around the edges uncovered.
- Put the second Pie Crust on top and press lightly to secure and seal the edges.
- Make an egg wash by mixing the egg with a tablespoon of water.
- Brush the top pie crust with the egg wash using a pastry brush.
- Sprinkle with some cinnamon and sugar.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the pie crust into ½ inches wide strips, and then cut again into your desired "fry" strips. Carefully remove them and put on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Heat sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Sugar will form clumps and melt into a thick brown, amber liquid as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn.
- Once sugar is completely melted, immediately add the butter. Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely melted, about 2 minutes. Very slowly drizzle in ½ cup of heavy cream while stirring. Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute. It will rise in the pan as it boils. Remove from heat and stir in 1 teaspoon of salt.