I think Winter has finally given up in our area. It fought hard right at the end with a couple snow storms the past few weekends, but it’s finally feeling like Spring has won. The grass is green and and I feel the sun on my face it has some heat behind it.
I find myself daydreaming of Summer, Summer fruits, BBQ and dancing. Dancing ?? Well, I have always had an interest in Latin dance, especially tango and salsa, lots of fun, complete with spins, sharp movement, crisp turns, but i never had time to attend some classes.
I’m already craving for fresh fruits and my thoughts as I was writing this automatically went to Fruit Salsa with cinnamon chips! I know your all wondering, why ? Well think about it fun, spins, crisp and sweet! All the combinations of a very tasty fruit Salsa recipes. Luckily, the grocery stores near us have had some big, beautiful strawberries lately, and I thought a perfect way to use some and fill my craving for fruit would be to make some fruit salsa and cinnamon chips.
So follow me to the kitchen and “Let’s Salsa”
- for the Fruit Salsa:
- 1 lb. strawberries, diced
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 kiwi, peeled and diced
- 8 oz raspberries
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fruit preserves, any flavor (I used apricot)
- for the Cinnamon Chips
- 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar, and fruit preserves.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.
- Coat one side of each flour tortilla with melted butter or butter flavored cooking spray.
- Mix sugar with cinnamon and pour desired amount of mixture over tortilla, cut into 8 wedges with a pizza cutter and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes or until cinnamon chips are crispy and just starting to brown.
- Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges.
- Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes.
- Serve with chilled fruit mixture.