So. Sugar cookies. Best Sugar cookies ever.
Usually I feel a little weird saying “the best” or “the best ever” I hear it/see it a lot, and I tend to reserve for the BEST. That being said, I feel totally and utterly confident that these Christmas sugar cookies are, in fact, the best. These cookies are perfect for a last minute treat, or maybe to make to leave out for Santa.
Do you guys leave cookies out for Santa?
Growing up, we celebrated Christmas, but we didn’t really do the whole Santa thing. 🙂 Because, Santa was supposed to come down the chimney, not through the our house back door, eat milk and cookies that Mom left for him, and bring us a presents on Christmas morning. I so vividly remember checking the cookie bowl as soon as I woke up to see if he really did eat them, and I would get SO giddy when I saw that he did (usually our dad).
It felt so magical to me!
There are certain holiday traditions that most people follow, but the thing that makes each family unique is the traditions that they have created on their own. Perhaps, these Christmas sugar cookies become your new Christmas tradition.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 cups flour
- Sugar Sprinkles, red and green
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream butter, both sugars and mix well.
- Blend in oil, eggs, vanilla, and dry ingredients in that order.
- With the mixer running on low, mix until the dough comes together.
- Roll dough into balls, about a TBS for each cookie, and place on prepared sheets.
- With the tines of a fork dipped in flour, make cross-hatch marks and then sprinkle with some red/green sugar sprinkles.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.