Try out this Loaded Baked Chicken Potato Casserole recipe with smoked bacon, crispy potato wedges, perfectly roasted chicken and lots of sharp cheddar cheese. It is so delicious and packed with flavor!
Almost every child who leaves house longs for their mother’s kitchen, and if they are lucky enough and their mother really loves to cook then this is longing on an even higher level.
Although she always tried to surprise us with new flavors and combinations, I will always really long for those simple dishes … the kind of food that we often eat and that she prepares with such a crazy ease, because just like that, today is the day for easy Casserole dish, the dish that is so simple that it doesn’t need a recipe.
My list of her dishes is huge, but one recipe will forever smell of mom and her love given to us through her cooking for years and that is the Loaded Baked Chicken Potato Casserole.
I often prepare this dish myself but I never expect the taste that I remember from my home. When I wish to eat that, then She steps on stage and again, for the umpteenth time, brings me back to the round table in the living room.
It’s nice to make Sunday dinner special and spend that time with the closest people….Some meals are just like that, slow and scented with linden that is brought by wind, smiling and cheerful….
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 - 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces (about 1.5 lbs.)
- 4 slices bacon or Canadian bacon, cut into pieces (You can pre-cook bacon for slightly more intense flavor..)
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, green part only, cut into small rounds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9" x 9" baking pan or casserole dish with some oil or butter.
- Spread half of the cubed potatoes in bottom of pan.
- Place the cubed chicken breasts evenly on top.
- Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon each salt, paprika and pepper.
- Sprinkle with half the bacon slices, ½ cup of the cheese, and half the green onions.
- For the second layer spread the remaining diced potatoes on top,
- followed by the remaining bacon, another ½ cup cheese and another ¼ teaspoon each salt, paprika and pepper.
- Pour heavy cream over top of casserole.
- * if it turn out too watery you can reduce the amount of heavy cream.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Uncover the pan and bake for another 30 minutes. In the last 10 minutes, sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese, remaining green onions and bake until the cheese is slightly crusty.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
wow! loved the way this turned our!
Those must be some large potatoes to be a total of 15 lbs? The recipe sounds good though!
I believe it says 1.5 lbs, not 15 lbs., it is difficult to read due to the font. Can’t wait to try this!
It is 1.5 pounds,not 15 pounds.
Dale, the recipe is 1.5 pounds…((1 and 1/2 pounds of potatoes.) .not 15 pounds of potatoes 🙂
I think it’s common sense that it’s 1 1/2 pounds with 1 pound of chicken I sped up the cook time by Browning potatoes and chicken just a little and substituted sour cream for whipping cream!
Perfect!! Also used smoked paprika!
It says 1.5 not 15. One and a half pounds.
I know this is and older post,but i love this recipe and I haven’t even tried it. One it has no canned cream of whatever soup and no cream cheese. I can’t wait to try it.
This recipe is delicious!!, I also am not to crazy about cream of mushroom and the amount of heavy cream is not overpowering. I semi cooked the bacon as suggested, great tip!! I will have to share this at a potluck.
This recipe is so delicious! And it is so easy. I cook for just my husband and I and am always looking for good recipies that are not to huge of amount. This casserole provides two meals for the two of us. A real keeper!
Made this tonight and it was good! I cooked the bacon before and chopped a little yellow onion to add. I agree I think tipping it with sour cream after is delicious
I LOVEEEE this recipe but instead of green onions i use peppers and onions! So good but mines come out watery but still so tasteful ☺️ Any tips on how to make it less watery? This is my second time making it and i used less heavy cream than the first time and it still came out water
If that’s not comfort food I don’t know what is ssooo good , I think I’m gonna need an extra long walk tonight.