Well, May is here and I hope that spring has arrived wherever you are.
I’m finding excuses to walk everywhere, lugging my camera in tote. Tulips, daffodils, and cherry blossoms are in bloom, tiny green leaves sprout, and what announces spring more than a scrumptious, juice-dripping, warm-from-the-sun strawberry?
Except perhaps…..today’s recipe.
Well, today I’m sharing a springy strawberry recipe, Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes!
What is it about Strawberry Cupcakes?
Well, these cupcakes are fluffy, moist and very-vanilla with pockets of strawberry jam inside each bite. I mean seriously, I could eat it every day of my life and be a very happy.
But if you’re one of the unfortunate souls who is still spying some snow through your kitchen window, I hope that these strawberry shortcake cupcakes will at least help put you in a more spring-like frame of mind. Think spring thoughts and Mother Nature has got to follow suit sooner or later, right?
Tip : You need to make these cupcakes immediately, while you can get your hands on fresh strawberries.
- For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup of unsalted butter,melted
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1⅔ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ cup yogurt( I used Greek)
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- For the Strawberry filling:
- 2 cups of fresh strawberries,finely chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp of corn starch
- 1 Tbsp of orange juice or Water
- Whipped Cream:
- 1-1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp confectioner sugar
- For strawberry mixture:
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch In the water or orange juice and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the strawberries and sugar.
- Cook over medium high heat and bring to a boil stirring often until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and cook for 1 more minute, allow to cool completely.
- For the cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or silicone liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour,baking soda,salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the sugar and butter.
- Add the yogurt,vanilla,egg whites and cream together until you get a smooth mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients and with the speed on low mix together,
- slowly adding the milk and mix everything to combine.
- Scoop the batter into your lined muffin tin,
- make sure it's only filled ¾ of the way up because they will rise.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 45 minutes before frosting.
- For the whipped cream:
- Make the whipped topping by whisking together the heavy cream, vanilla and granulated sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Filling :
- Using a sharp knife, melon baller or small ice cream scoop, scoop out the center of each cupcake.
- Fill with about 1 Tbsp of the strawberry mixture and pipe with some of the whipped cream.
- Top each cupcake with either a slice of strawberry or leave them as it is!