Loaded Baked Potato Salad – or what I like to call a “ultimate summer BBQ salad.” Everything you love about loaded baked potatoes – tender cubes of potato, sour cream, mayo, crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, and green onions- to create the most amazing summer salad ever!
Summer is quickly approaching and here at CC we are prepping for some great summer recipes!
I can’t think of a better one for summer with all of the grillin’ and chillin’ that goes on. Something’s definitely missing on your summertime table, or picnic table if there isn’t a big, beautiful bowl of potato salad placed amongst the chicken kabobs, the slaw, the BBQ’d chicken legs or the baked beans.
Since Father’s Day is almost the first day of summer this year and it’s time to throw a little backyard BBQ or grilling party, then loaded baked potato salad is must-have because is perfect both for summer and for dad, loaded up with all of the favorite, tender cubes of potato, sour cream, mayo, crispy bacon, Cheddar cheese, and green onions.
This is a simple and inexpensive side dish for any meal, and tell me, what BBQ is complete without loaded baked potato salad?
- 5 pounds unpeeled russet, gold, or red potatoes, medium sized
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 green onions, trimmed of the root ends, halved, and thinly sliced
- 6 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise, plain or greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash the potatoes and poke holes in them with a fork.
- Place the cleaned potatoes on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and lightly coat with olive oil.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Remove the skins and cut the potatoes into bite sized chunks and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons each of the crumbled bacon and grated cheese, and a teaspoon of the sliced green onions for garnish.
- In a small bowl mix the mayo/greek yogurt and sour cream together.
- Add to the potatoes, then add the remaining onions, bacon, and cheese. Gently mix until fully combined. Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to two days, garnishing right before serving.